Rimini museums

Logo stampa
slideshow
 
  •  
 
 

The Last Supper Corridor

Corridoio de l'"Ultima cena"
Picture by Gilberto Urbinati

Bartolomeo Coda (news from 1490-1565), The Last Supper

Detached fresco and its sinopite,

It was on the bottom wall of the “new refectory” of San Francesco convent in Rimini (adjacent to the Tempio Malatestiano). It had been painted over a Crucifixion of 1515, the few fragments of which are visible only in a photograph taken prior to the war, when the refectory was used as “Medieval Museum”. While detaching the fresco (1967), they found the Sinopite, which was then recovered and is now displayed in front of the fresco itself. The sinopite is the draft traced by the painter on the plaster, in order to correclty paint the fresco. De facto, the fresco was painted over a thin layer of fresch plaster, laid each time only on the surface to be painted during the day. It is interesting to see how the scene changes passing from the draft to the definitive realisation.

The work is attributed to Bartolomeo Coda, who was active in Rimini first with his father Benedetto (+1535), then with his brothers. It represents well the peculiarities of that provincial mannerism which spread in Romagna and Marches around mid-16th century, influeced by the Venetian and Bologna painting schools.